Before we get into today's fun-tute on making a chore chart,
I wanted to give you a heads up as to what's on the horizon the next few weeks :)
THIS Saturday J&M Eye Candy will be hosting at their place
a FREE give-away contest for a cool AVON bundle of goodies!
Be sure to head on over to J&M Eye Candy this Saturday for your chance to win!
Also, for 2 weeks in September J&M Eye Candy will be having this amazing "Party Extravaganza".
And I get to guest post for one of those days!! Yipee!
I'll be doing a guest post on September 10th.
It will be all about the Star Wars party that my ole hubby and I did for our son.
Be sure to head over on the 10th and check it out!
And now, on with the show!
I don't know about you, but chore charts have been a big pain in my patootie.
I absolutely LOVE the idea of online chore charts ...
but then I have to stop what I am doing to log my son on. Hate that!
Then my husband found these cool free printables online and he printed me a ton ...
but then I had to write the chores each time on the chart, and that's if I even
remembered to pull the old one down and put the new one up. Too much for my busy life :)
Then I saw this tutorial by Kristine at J&M Eye Candy.
BAM! Light bulbs went on and I was like
The idea was born, and our task of creating a
perpetual, reusable chore chart took of!
First thing I did was to use my Silhouette SD software
to lay out my chore chart similar to the way I wanted it to end up.
Once I had it looking like I wanted, I then approached ...
what for me is the hardest part of crafting/scrapbooking ...
choosing the paper! I have the hardest time picking out papers & colors.
But, I perservered and found my selection.
Then, using my pesonal trimmer I cut all the paper that needed
to be cut into rectangles and squares. I based my measurements
on what the Silhouette SD images showed.
Once I had all the rectangles cut and laid out,
I then used the Silhouette SD to cut out my letters ...
... and then I laid the letters in the general area they needed to be.
Next up, letting the Silhouette SD cut out the stars ...
... and a hole punch to cut out the dots.
Once I had all the pieces-parts cut & punched out,
I inked all the edges to give it more "pop".
Then I glued everything down onto an 8.5"x11" piece of cardstock
Almost done! I thought the stars looked a little dead
so I decided to gently trace the stars with a blue ink pen
... let's just say I'm not very good at inking stars :)
One last thing ... the actual chart. I used Microsoft Excel to create the chart,
printed it out, trimmed it up, and glued that sucker down!
I then put the whole thing in a Dollar Store frame,
gathered a dry erase pen that I had laying around
and bing-bang-boom it's ready to go for my son's chores :)
Now I won't have to worry about it except for once a week
when I have to count up his "x's" and dole out the mulah.
Easy Peasy ... and a nice cheatin' way out for mama :)
Be sure to check out the "Linky Parties" page to see where I'm hooking up this week!