Monday, July 18, 2011

Frogs on a Log Counting Game

Here's something you may not know about me ... I love education and I love to teach!   I mean, let me loose in the school supply section and we may be eating Ramen Noodles for a week because I'll blow the food bill before you can blink your eyes!  For me everything in life becomes an object lesson.  Don't believe me, just ask my kids.  I can see them rolling their eyes now.

My love for teaching even spills over into my gift giving.  And because of that, lucky you, today's tutorial is actually a Christmas gift for my cutie-patootie 2 year old niece.  I know, it's only July ... but I think we've established by now that I am an A-Type personality and that means I plan WAAAY ahead in life.

So, here it is ... a fun game to help teach numbers to preschoolers.  I call it "Frogs on a Log Counting Game".  I used my Silhouette SD to cut out all my shapes but you can draw them free hand, or download from the internet, or even use magazine pictures and get the same effect.

*******************************************************************

First, find scraps of paper that you like and position them on your cutting mat. 
This is one reason I love the Silhouette SD. 
I can lay the paper down and then place my shapes on the screen
exactly where the paper is so that I don't ever waste paper.


Next, set up your frogs using the Silhouette SD software. 
For this project I used the Chubby Frog shape and ungrouped it,
deleted the eyes and mouth, and just kept the outline shape. 
To ungroup, in case you aren't familiar with that, right click on the image,
choose ungroup from the drop down list.  Easy Peasy.


Now you let the machine cut out your shapes
and then you pull all the extra paper off.


Using the handy-dandy tool that comes with the Silhouette gently peel those little froggies off.
Is it just me, or does anyone else have issues with their mat being REALLY sticky :)


Oooh, now the really fun part.  The faces!
I used the Sizzix Dress Ups Faces Rub Ons.  But you can free-hand draw faces too.
One thing I loved about using the Sizzix faces is that the froggies can also become
a way to teach my niece about emotions ... happy, sad, angry, etc.
I told you EVERYTHING is an object lesson with me :)
You know, maybe even for older children
you can use jiggly google eyes?  Wouldn't that be cool!!


Time for the log! 
Once I set up the log in my Silhouette to the size I wanted,
 I ungrouped it and then deleted the leaves.


Let the machine cut that baby out, then remove the oblong circle on the limb.
Then, gently remove the squiggly circle piece as well.
You can just throw them suckers away, or if you're like me,
hoard them in an envelope  JUST in case you might need a brown squiggly circle one day.


Cut a square piece of paper to glue behind the squiggly opening 
and a triangle of paper to fit behind the circle on the limb.


Trim it up so it's real purty like.


And there you have it.
All your little froggies and a log.
But wait!  We aren't done yet!
Now you need to put clear contact paper over them.
Remember, it's for a TWO year old people!



So, lay out your pieces on one side of a large piece of clear contact paper.


Fold the other piece on top of your little cuties
and rub it good so that it seals.
I used the other little handy dandy tool that came with my Silhouette.


Trim them all out using scissors. 
Be sure to leave extra around the edges so that they stay sealed.
I also ironed them so give it extra oompf at being sealed.
Just use a low heat iron and put the original paper
backing from the contact paper on top of them while you iron.

Now all you have to do is buy some dice from the dollar store.
The rules of the game are that your cutie-patootie will roll the dice,
and whatever number it lands on they have to put that number of frogs on the log.


TIP:  This could also be used for Kingergarten and First Grade students.
Makes a great Addition / Subtraction game.
Have them roll the die, put that number of frogs on the log.
Have them roll the die again, and either ADD or SUBTRACT that number of frogs to the log.

Now all I have to do is come up with a cute way to package this for her gift.
And a cute instruction paper so my sister knows what they heck it is :)
But we'll save that for another day.


Silhouette SD Shapes Used:
log_C20090803021755_19414
chubby_frog_C20090803103417_19007

*************************************************************************


It's PAR-TAY time this week.  I'll be linking up to these parties all week:


The Girl Creative

6 comments:

RedTedArt said...

Aaaah I need a silhouette machine! How fab and what a versatile craft!

Thank you for linking to Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

RedTedArt said...

PS do grab a button if you fancy it: http://www.redtedart.com/get-crafty-badges/

Love Sweet Love said...

I don't have a silhouette, but I am going to find a way to make this! (totally pinning it too by the way!) My little boy is really into rolling die and counting the number of dots (wierd but good right?!) so I know he would love this and he'd be learning without even knowing it! Thank you so much!
Angla

kasia said...

Lovely idea! Thank u for sharing. I guess I have to get my silhouette out

Michelle said...

This is a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing!! I am visiting from Someday Crafts and I am a new follower!! Hope you have a great week and that I see you around soon!!
Michelle
www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

Brit @ JandMs Eye Candy said...

Thanks for linking up with us Miss Tammie :) Great idea, love it! We will be featuring it on our blog tomorrow!! Don't forget to grab your "I was Featured" button :) Come party with us again soon!
Britney
www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com