Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Rose By Any Other Name ...

... would never smell as good as Old Salem Wild Rose Soap does! I absolutely love this soap.  I know, I know, Avon has shower gels and soaps as well ... and I use them. I really do! Daily even! And I love them, too. Check out the picture below. It shows THREE bottles are in my shower as we speak, and 1 is almost empty!


But I gotta tell ya that this glycerin soap is fabulous. The first time I laid my nose on some was when we visited North Carolina. We did this really cool historic town called "Old Salem" and I stumbled on this stuff in the gift shop. Not really knowing the greatness of this small bar ... I only bought one. DOH! I get home and was like "Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness." LOVED it so much that next time we went to North Carolina I made my hubby drive me to the Old Salem Gift Shop and I bought their stock out. Ok, well maybe not the whole stock ... but several bars at least!



And now ... to my great pleasure ... and the reason I decided to blog about soap :) ... the heavens have opened up and I can hear angels singing ... they have a website! Check it out here. If you do decide to order some you'll have to ask for it by product number 22589 because after searching and searching and not finding it, and breaking out in hives over the fear of not finding my soap, I did email them begging to know the scoop.  They told me they don't have the soap actually listed on their page. But they got it, I promise ya they do!



You know, if you are ever in the Winston-Salem area ... and you love history as much as I do ... you will WANT to do Old Salem (especially in the fall). It's an 18th century town that was founded by Moravians. The streets are cobblestone and lined with trees that have color changing leaves. They have a 18th century bakery that is to die for and goodies are made daily. They also have a candlestick shop where they make 18th century wax candles. I gotta tell you that there is so much to see and many original historical buildings. It's so worth the trip.


Oh, and let us not forget my favorite part of Old Salem ... right in the heart of town you will find The Oldest Big Coffee Pot in America. Yes, you see that correctly. It's a 12' tall coffee pot! This sucker was so cool. Well, at least to me it was. The family could care less :) It was built in 1858 by a tinsmith to advertise his shop. I guess you could say it may have been the first bulletin board :)  I know, I hear it all the time from my husband. I don't need to hear it from you as well ... I'm a freak :)


That's me!  Standing under The Big Coffee Pot.  How cool am I?
 And if freakiness runs through your veins like me, then be sure to check out the other oddities that Winston-Salem has to offer:


Shell Shaped Gas Station Built in the 1930's.
My son never even stopped playing his PSP to look at it.
Takes after his father :)


The Big Chair.  Originally built in 1922.  But weather tore it apart.
This one was built in 1952 to stand the weather better.
I got out of the car to appreicate the craftsmanship better ....
the family stayed in the a/c.
It was hot.  VERY hot.  Africa hot.

In closing, Let the Freaks Unite! I can't be the only one out there who likes odd things :) Seen anything freaky on your vacations? Or just have a great vacation story in general?  Be sure to share a comment below!

2 comments:

Sir Gregory of Port Orangesville said...

My you are very strong! Holding up that gigantic coffee pot all by yourself... while I sit in the car enjoying the a/c. :) What's your secret girl for strength like that? Do you work out?

I was shell shocked to find that gas station. :)

Is that chair really a big chair or are you just good at Photoshop? :)

Anonymous said...

I have been to Old Salem! I love that area! The Bakery IS to die for! I bought a loaf of bread, and I think I ate the whole thing by the time we made it back to Memphis! I didn't share. :)